Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Petition for Restricted License

Under 21

Criminal court processes restricted license requests for adults. If you are under 18 years, please contact your attorney, probation officer or the Juvenile Court. If you are over 18 years and under 21 years of age with a suspended license due to an alcohol and/or drug related conviction from the San Luis Obispo Court, you may be eligible to file a Petition for Restricted License (see Vehicle Code section 13202.5(d) for applicable violations.) This petition requests the court to instruct DMV to issue a restriction on your suspended license. Restrictions allow you to drive in certain necessary situations; for example, to and from work/school, in the course of employment, to and from a treatment program or to transport a family member due to an illness. Ultimately, the DMV has control over your license, but certain laws allow a bench officer to request a restriction be placed on your license.

To request this type of restriction, please fill out and submit the Petition for Restricted License .

Instructions for filling out the Petition

  • Fill in your name and case number. The case number begins with a M or a F followed by three zeros and a six digit number. This number can be located on the top right hand corner of any court minute order. If you do not know your case number please contact your attorney or the clerks' office.
  • Fill in items 1-7. You must fill in all items completely.
  • Fill in Part A, Part B and/or Part C on page 2. Depending on which boxes you checked in item 6 on page 1, you will fill in one or more of the Parts on page 2. You must fill in all of the information and obtain the pertinent signatures for each of the applicable parts. If page 2 is not completed or does not include signatures, your petition may not be processed timely or may be returned to you for more information.
  • Date and Sign. Please include your address, so the clerk can mail a copy of the petition back to you once the judge has reviewed it, and phone number, so the clerk can call you if there are any questions. If you wish to pick up the petition in person once it is completed, please attach a note to the petition instructing the clerk to call you when it is ready for pick up.
  • Submit both pages of the petition and a self-addressed stamped envelope (SASE) to the San Luis Obispo Criminal Operations clerks' office. An SASE is an envelope that you write your name and address and place proper postage (stamp) on it. It will be used to mail back your petition once it is signed by the bench officer. You may submit this form in person or by mail.
  • If your petition is granted, you must then take your granted petition to the DMV who ultimately has the authority to issue the restriction. The court allowing the petition is separate from DMV issuing the restriction.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.