Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Court Phone System is down.

 Our vendor is working around the clock to restore our telephony server. At this time there is no ETA.

To email, please consult the specific department webpage.

New Hearing Reminder Service.

Subscribe to receive electronic notifications about upcoming court dates on non-confidential case types. Please follow the link for additional details or to create an account.

Access Court Records Online.

The San Luis Obispo County Superior Court launched re:SearchCA, a web-based platform that grants registered users remote access to public court records and documents. Please follow the link to register or sign in with your eFileCalifornia account.


The Traffic Department processes Vehicle Code violations and some city and county ordinance violations issued by law enforcement agencies in San Luis Obispo County.

A courtesy bail notice will be sent to the address listed on your citation. Court employees cannot quote bail or provide information to you until your citation has been entered into the system. Please allow ample time for your citation to be processed. If the due date on your citation is within two weeks and you have not received your courtesy bail notice, it is your responsibility to contact the Clerk's Office for bail or appearance information.

Traffic Forms

  • TR200 - Instructions for Trial by Written Declaration

  • TR205 - Request for Trial by Written Declaration

  • TR220 - Request for New Trial (Trial De Novo)

More Information

Financial Hardship Or Ability To Pay

To ask the Court to consider your ability to pay due to financial hardship and decide whether to approve a reduced fine with a payment plan or community work service, you may schedule an appearance in Court for arraignment without the deposit of bail by contacting the clerk's office.

Appearing in Court

The date that appears on your case that are noted on this website do not always reflect your actual appearance date. Always contact the Clerk's Office or the Traffic Processing Center to confirm your court appearance whether it be for Arraignment or Trial, if needed.

First time appearances are called Arraignments. The citing officer is not present at the Arraignment. If you intend to plead Not Guilty to your citation, you will return for an actual trial with the citing officer present at the same time. The court will notify you of a date and time to appear for your trial. If you have posted bail for your trial prior to your Arraignment date either by mail or at the clerk's office, a trial date and time will be mailed to you.

It is your responsibility to provide your current address and phone number to assure proper notification to you of your trial date and time.

If you have not received notification from the court regarding your Arraignment date or a Trial date, please contact the court to verify your appearance date and time.

Contesting a Citation

Frequently Asked Questions

It generally takes a week to ten days for the court to receive a ticket and another 5-10 business days to enter and process it. Once entered into the court's system, a Courtesy Notice is mailed to the address listed on the citation.

The Court can quote bail and give you information regarding your citation after the citation has been filed by the issuing agency and entered into the court's computers.

See Proof of Correction on the Traffic Tickets 101 page.

To ask the court to consider your ability to pay due to financial hardship and decide whether to approve a reduced fine with a payment plan or community service, you may request a fine reduction as part of California's Ability to Pay Program at  You may also contact the clerk's office to schedule an appearance in court for arraignment without the deposit of bail.

Sometimes the officer states there is no fee for correctable "fix-it" violations.

The State of California requires the court to collect a proof of correction processing fee (Fix-it Fee) per Vehicle Code § 40611 (which is statutory) for all correctable violations.

Statutory fees apply even if the infraction itself carries no fine.

Pay your ticket in full, 24 hours a day, with a Visa or Mastercard. You will be charged a nominal processing fee for this service.

If our ticket information section does not answer your questions, you may call or visit the clerk's office at any of our branch locations listed under Contact Information on this page.

Any holds on your driving record will be released on the next business day after making your payment in full with these options.

Fines will vary based on violations alleged and/or judge's decisions if a court appearance is made.

Typically, the amount due is the bail required for each violation plus any applicable fees.

The California legislature enacts minimum and maximum fines for all violations of state laws; fines for local laws are enacted by the Board of Supervisors or City Councils.

When you appear in court, the judge may impose any fine between the minimum and maximum based upon the facts of your case and your record of prior convictions.

If the judge becomes aware that you have prior convictions, the fine imposed in court can be more than the bail. The Judicial Council recommends an increase for each prior conviction up to the maximum permitted by law.

If your ticket includes a correctable violation, see Proof of Correction.

Make checks out to SLO Superior Court.

Your court date is the date on the bottom of your citation. If the citation does not have a court date listed, the court will issue one and will include it on the Courtesy Bail Notice.

See Requesting an Extension on the Traffic Tickets 101 page.

See "How do I set a court date?" on the Appearing in Court page.

See the same question on the Contesting a Citation page.

Warrants are not usually issued on Traffic Infractions. Punishment for an infraction is a fine only.

If you do not take care of your traffic citation in a timely manner:

  • a hold may be placed on your driver's license by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV),
  • your license may be suspended, and
  • your fine may be referred to a private collections agency.

See the Eligibility Requirements.

The State of California has set forth Traffic School eligibility requirements in California Rule of Court 4.104. These rules determine under what conditions and in which cases a person may attend Traffic School in order to receive a confidential traffic school conviction.

This court will permit attendance at a Department of Motor Vehicles certified Traffic School as a means of obtaining a confidential traffic school conviction if you meet the Eligibility Requirements.

Traffic School attendance after a Court Trial would have to be approved by the judge.

You have two options available to you:

1. Trial by Written Declaration
This option is for infraction violations only and does not require a personal appearance. You may request a Trial by Written Declaration which requires you to post bail in lieu of your appearance. Instructions and forms for a Trial by Written Declaration may be obtained by mail or from our forms page. Submit the Trial by Written Declaration form with any facts or evidence you wish to have considered. A written statement will be requested from the citing officer(s). A judicial officer will review your case and you will be notified by mail of the decision.

2. Court Trial
This option requires a court appearance and is available for all violations. A Court Trial requires you to post bail if you do not appear for arraignment. Posting bail pursuant to VC40519(b) constitutes a waiver of your right to a speedy trial within 45 days. Send a check or money order for the total bail or appear for an arraignment and enter your plea after which the court will set your trial date and notice you by mail.

If you fail to appear at the time designated for your trial, either a trial in your absence will occur (Trial in Absentia), or it will be marked as a Failure to Appear and could be sent to a private collection agency.

For more information, see What happens when I plead not guilty?.

Any party may appeal an unfavorable decision made in the trial court to the appellate division of the superior court. The appeal must be directed towards errors of law only. An appeal is not a retrial, and you will not be permitted to introduce new evidence. You are advised to thoroughly read California Rules of Court, rules 8.702-8.709 and rules 8.780-8.793. The court clerks cannot assist you. You should direct any questions you have to an attorney of your own choosing.

Forms for an appeal are available from the clerk's office (Judicial Council forms TR-150, TR-155, TR-160, TR-165) or online at the California Courts website.   The Notice of Appeal from a Court Trial must be filed within 30 days of the judgment date.

Filing a Notice of Appeal does not stop enforcement of the judgment. You must still comply with all terms and conditions of the court order.

To appeal a Trial by Declaration decision, complete and file a Request for New Trial/Trial De Novo (Judicial Council Form TR-220) with the Court within 20 days of the mailing of judgment.

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.