Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Paying Criminal Fines

Court ordered fines may be paid online, in person, or by mail.

Pay Online

Payments for Court Ordered fines in Criminal cases may be made online using the link below. The Court accepts Visa, MasterCard & Discover for online payments. There is a 1.99% transaction fee charged for online payments.

You may look up your case using any of the following:

  • Case Number
  • Citation Number
  • Your Full Name & Birthdate
  • Driver’s License Number

After you have selected the search type, and entered the required information, click Submit.

  1. Please check the box next to your case number when it appears on the screen, then click Pay Selected.
  2. If you have made arrangements for a payment plan, you will be able to make your monthly payment. Please see the Minimum Due Amount. You can update the Amount to Pay Field if the minimum due is less than the total case balance. You cannot make a payment plan payment using a cell phone app.
  3. Cases without payment plan arrangements can only pay the balance in full.
  4. The transaction fee will be calculated based upon your total payment.
  5. A receipt will be provided for you to print or request by email at the completion of your transaction.
  6. If your transaction times out prior to receiving a confirmation, please do not click the back button or retry your transaction immediately. Please wait 24 hours before resubmitting a failed payment to prevent duplicate payments from occurring.

If you pay the full amount in error or make a duplicate payment the court cannot refund your payment or the transaction fee. You will need to file a dispute with your bank.

Make Payment

If your case has already been referred to a collection agency due to non-payment, you will not be able to use the online payment feature. Please contact GC Services at (800) 727-5848.

Mail Payments

DO NOT MAIL CASH. Checks and money orders should be made payable to “SLO Superior Court”. To ensure your payment is credited to the correct case, please include the case or citation number. All checks must include the name, address and phone number of the person writing the check.

Download and print full directions and a payment slip.

Payments can be mailed directly to the Fiscal Services Department.

Fiscal Services Department
SLO Superior Court
1050 Monterey Street Room 220
San Luis Obispo, CA, 93408 USA

In-Person Payments

Additionally, traffic tickets and fine payments can be paid at Walmart and certain other local retailers through the CheckFreePay Service. Below is a list of all local retailers that offer the CheckFreePay service within 50-miles of San Luis Obispo. If you live out of the area, you can search for retailers in your area that provide this service by using the Search By Zip Code option at the bottom of the page in the CheckFreePay website.

Payment Instructions:

  • Take your courtesy bail notice or fine statement with you to make your payment
  • Fee is $0.88 - $2.50, depending upon the retailer.
  • Payments must be made in CASH
  • Payment information will be transmitted to the court within 1-2 business days..
  • We are listed as a vendor in the Walmart system under the name of SLO SUPERIOR COURT

Check free payment locations within 50 miles of San Luis Obispo

What happens if I fail to appear or fail to pay a court ordered fine?

If you signed a citation or an agreement to appear and violate your written promise to appear at court, you have Failed to Appear. This failure to appear may result in your bail being increased, a $100 Civil Assessment being imposed pursuant to PC §1214.1, your case being referred to collections and a hold/suspension being placed on your driver’s license pursuant to VC §40509.5a.

If you appeared in court, or plead guilty by Counter Arraignment, and you don’t pay your court ordered fine by the scheduled due date, you have Failed to Pay. A failure to pay may also result in your fine being increased, a $100 Civil Assessment being imposed pursuant to PC §1214.1, your case being referred to collections.

Once the Civil Assessment has been added to a case, the case is immediately turned over to the court’s collections agency, GC Services.

How do I clear a hold on my driver’s license?

To clear the hold/suspension for a Failure to Appear, you may pay the bail (including Civil Assessment and state mandated fees) in full with guaranteed funds or there will be a 21-day waiting period, to the collection agency or you may contact the court for additional options including appearing in court. 

Was this helpful?